Skip to main content

Pulled the Wrong Cord

Apparently, my last post may have offended some of my friends and family.  That was not my intent.  I may not have explained myself very well.


It is not that I have anything against women working.  (There are many jobs and professions that I think are extremely well suited for women.  There are others, though, that I think are best for men.  And there are many of those "male" jobs that I think a "specific" women can perform just fine, and vice versa.)


I do not ever hang up on anyone, regardless of their gender, or their annoyingly way of making sure they get their three rebuttals.  I merely have had many experiences which have made me want to hang up and call back to get a different customer service person (and, this is not exclusively for women customer service reps; I've had plenty of experiences with men as well).  I just happen to have an affinity for talking to male reps as opposed to female.  Having said that, if I do end up talking to a female rep, I do not hang up on them; I simply prefer talking to male reps more.


My experiences with female real estate agents has been the same, though.  And, because of those experiences, if I ever need another real estate agent, I will probably choose a male agent.  But, my younger sister is right, my opinion is based on my experiences and my disposition.  I think I work better with male real estate agents, than with female.  But, again, that's my opinion based on my experience.  Perhaps that does make me sexist.


Now, when I go to the specific grocery store that I frequent, I do try to take my purchases to a male cashier.  Mainly because those male cashiers in my grocery store seem to be more efficient than the female cashiers ... basically because the female cashiers tend to hold on a conversation with the customer and it seems to slow them down.  Most of the time when I do my grocery shopping, I shop for several weeks, my cart is completely full, and I have been in the grocery store for roughly an hour.  I just want to get out of there ... so efficiency and speed is at the forefront of my mind.  And, most of the male cashiers I have had experience with have proven that they can scan quickly.  However, on occasion I have been to a female cashier who is quite efficient ... and she is the one that I will go to again and again.  And, the grocery store is the extent of that example.  When in a department store, or hardware store, or whatever, I could care less about the gender of the cashier.


I also agree with my older sister's comment ... that men sometimes have a hard time conforming to the company's policy when performing certain tasks.  In my experience, men are more inclined to make things work regardless of the way it should be done.  But, from a client's perspective, I think that's awesome ... because I get what I want/need without having to jump through a lot of loops.  Yet, I do see from the company's point of view as well, in that it causes a lot of problems for them to sort through.  So, I stand corrected, and will take that into consideration the next time I don't want to jump through the loops of any company's policies.


My life experiences have made me who I am today, and these are no exception.  We all have different life experiences, which help us to form our own opinions on several topics.  I will probably stand by my opinion, but will consider that perhaps I am a little closed minded ... but aren't we all in some respects, based on our own experiences, a little bit closed minded.  This just happens to be my vice ... and now you all know a little bit more about me.

Comments

Kristina Werner said…
Thanks for explaining a bit more. I think what "got a bee in my bonnet" was a line from your first paragraph in yesterday's post:

"I think that our society would be greatly benefited if women, as a whole, returned back to their original place in society instead of trying to infiltrate the places where men are."

That's a very strongly worded statement. I know it wasn't your intention, but it made me think you wanted to push the Women's Movement as it pertains to employment back 100 years.

Perhaps I should end this blog comment with...

GIRL POWER!

(Although, I bet some feminists would object to my use of the word "girl". Oh, well!)
Samantha said…
For the last decade plus, I have worked in an industry that was male dominated (home improvement). And I have to say, I ran into my share of male customers that did not want to deal with a female manager and were not very nice about it... But I also was sought out by women for help because they felt more comfortable asking for help from a woman... Scientific studies show that the female brain learns and performs multi-tasking jobs better than the male brain. This is a generalization of course. Well, anyhow, my family has always taught to consider each person on their own merits and not a stereo-type. Intended or not we all have our prejudices, hopefully we try out best to overcome them and treat others the best we can....
Aubrey A said…
I have to say I'm impressed by this post. A lot of people would be upset, that other people would be upset at their opinions. (I know because I have dealt with this first hand twice over the past few weeks.) Instead of getting mad that other people were upset, you tried to clarify your opinion. While I may not share the exact same view as you do, I can definitely see your point. You may happen to be close minded, but everyone is over something at some point in time. I think the key is knowing your weakness and trying to be better about not generalizing. But I do think this post speaks volumes about you as a person because of how you handled the negative reactions. Good on you my friend!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogiversary

Today is my blogiversary! One year ago today I switched my blog over to Blogger. To celebrate, I want to do a little drawing for all my friends and family! I haven't yet decided what the winner will get ... I think it depends on who the winner is (I don't want to send a crayon roll to someone without children, or an apron to my brother, etc.). Rest assured though, that the winner will get something homemade from me, just as a little thank you for being my friend! So, start commenting ... and I'll send the total number of comments I receive by next Wednesday at 11:59 CST through random.org, then announce the winner next Thursday.

85+ Books!

It's been almost a year since I started keeping track of all the books I've read.  When it's all in a list ... by date ... it really makes me realize how much I read!  I burned through almost a book a day in the month of January: 24 books total ... the greatest number of books in one month!  After compiling the list, I figured I may as well share it with all my friends!  I've organized them by genre/topic ... and now I realize I need to branch out more!  Books I read multiple times this year have asterisks. REGENCY/HISTORICAL ROMANCE The Apothecary's Daughter, Julie Klassen Edenbrooke*, Julianne Donaldson The Girl in the Gatehouse, Julie Klassen The Heiress of Winterwood, Sarah Ladd The Maid of Fairbourne Hall, Juie Klassen Lady of Milkweed Manor, Julie Klassen Short Straw Bride, Karen Witemeyer The Silent Governess, Julie Klassen The Tutor's Daughter, Julie Klassen CLEAN ROMANCE Bah, Humbug!, Heather Horrocks The Cubicle Next Door*, Siri L....

Finished Project Friday: Maryanne's Blessing Dress

(I know it's not really Friday, but I just finished this today and couldn't wait to show ya'll .) I finished Maryanne's blessing dress early! Well, what you would call early for me. When I made Andrew's blessing romper I was pounding in the snaps around the legs and on the back around 9:00 the Saturday night before he was blessed. So, to have Maryanne's dress done a week before her blessing is really good for me. This pattern was a challenge for me because the directions weren't very explicit, but after I did what I was supposed to they totally made sense. And, I forgot how to make button holes, so that was an adventure. This was the first time I've ever used lace on a project, and I'm really pleased with the outcome. You can't see it, but the slip has lace along the bottom edge, and I was supposed to put lace on the collar but opted it out and like it much better that way. I also made a little jacket or " saque " for her out of fla...