Skip to main content

Moving Forward: Exercise

Exercising has always been a battle for me.  As I've stated before, I would much rather go out and play a sport, than get exercise through an at-home video, running, or going to the gym.  Those kinds of exercise are not enjoyable for me.  Rather, they don't inspire me to exercise.  Now, an organized basketball, volleyball, or softball game .... why, yes, I'll clear my schedule to be there.

The last week has been a struggle.  I've learned a few things:

1) P90X is not for me.

It is for some people.  Not me.  At least not right now.  I am so out of shape that trying to do something as hard core as P90X was extremely difficult for me.  My muscles just aren't ready for that.  I only worked out to the first video (chest and back), and 30 minutes of the second video (plyometrics).  After the 30 minutes of the second video, my legs were shaking and I couldn't walk up my staircase to get to my shower.  Literally.  I had to put one hand on the wall of the stairs, the other hand on the stair rail, and pull myself up the stairs.  Sad.

2) My home exercise videos of choice (The Firm) have their own little compliment of videos in a similar format to P90X.

They aren't as intense, but they seem to be more fitting for me.  There are 12 DVDs, with 20 minute workouts on each DVD (as opposed to the 50+ minute workouts of P90X), and the rotation calendar has three workouts scheduled per week.  The "test subjects" lost about 12-15 lbs, and around 20" in 30 days.  While I am also in this to be more physically fit, and to take care of my body a little bit better, I am most definitely in this to lose inches.  Twenty-minute workouts don't seem ver long to me, but I know I can find 20 minutes to exercise everyday.  And, if I happen to have extra time, I can always pop in another DVD and do another sequence.  I haven't bought the discs yet, but the more I think about it, the more I want to.  Currently, I am on day two of my own rotation calendar of the discs I already own.

3) I want to eat better because I don't want all of my exercising to go to waste.

Each time I finish exercising (no matter what it is), I feel completely famished!  But, I don't want all of my good work negated by eating terrible-for-my-body foods.  A friend told me that if you wake up in the morning and eat just fruit, within 20 minutes you will have a lot of energy.  So, I'm going to try to incorporate more protein (to hep build muscle mass), and more fruits and veggies into my very high-carbohydrate  diet.  I know that fruits are very similar to breads, in that they turn into sugar during digestion (anyone correct me if I am wrong here, please), but I really eat very little to begin with.  I think that any addition is an improvement.


Anyway, that's what I've learned.  I know it will take me a long time to get his down into a habit.  but, having been there before, I know I can do it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Similar to what your friend said: If you are exercising in the morning, before you normally eat breakfast, I read in one of my cookbooks (written by a dietician) that having a diluted glass of fruit juice is also a good way to get a few calories in without sabotaging your workout or making you too full to exercise in the morning. I drank some cranberry juice (I love cranberry juice!) and sometimes Crystal Light before I worked out in the good ol' days. :) It didn't make me feel sick and I wasn't too full to work out.

I've seen those P90x commercials and my heavens!!!! I don't think I could do that, either. I believe in working your body hard enough to feel sore, but not so hard that you can't function the rest of the day. That's torture! :) :) My goal is to tone up my bottom half. :) I miss the few curves I used to have. haha

Anyway, I look forward to your "moving forward Mondays" posts. THey encourage me!
Anonymous said…
This is Lynette. Sorry! :)
Aubrey A said…
Working out has always been a problem for me. I just lack the motivation. I've never been an athletic girl in any way shape or form, so it's double hard for me to want to do anything remotely athletic. But I just decided that I can't be 50 trying to burn of the fat that I should've been burning off when I was 30. So, I've been going on 5 weeks of exercising. It's been hard, but it's been worth it. I've already dropped an inch on my waist line and 1/2 on my thighs!!! Boo-ya! Plus I've dropped 3lbs. Didn't necessarily want to loose the weight, but added bonus. . .yes. (And that's only exercising 3 nights a week for 20-30 min a night. I know if I upped it to 5 night and consistently did 30 minutes of hard core stuff I'd drop a lot more quickly, but I know if I do it that way, I won't stick with it. So I'm good with the slow method.) So. . . what does this all mean to you? Nothing really. Just wanted to let you know that exercising is personal and if it works for you & makes you happy then do it! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Blogiversary

Today is my blogiversary! One year ago today I switched my blog over to Blogger. To celebrate, I want to do a little drawing for all my friends and family! I haven't yet decided what the winner will get ... I think it depends on who the winner is (I don't want to send a crayon roll to someone without children, or an apron to my brother, etc.). Rest assured though, that the winner will get something homemade from me, just as a little thank you for being my friend! So, start commenting ... and I'll send the total number of comments I receive by next Wednesday at 11:59 CST through random.org, then announce the winner next Thursday.

85+ Books!

It's been almost a year since I started keeping track of all the books I've read.  When it's all in a list ... by date ... it really makes me realize how much I read!  I burned through almost a book a day in the month of January: 24 books total ... the greatest number of books in one month!  After compiling the list, I figured I may as well share it with all my friends!  I've organized them by genre/topic ... and now I realize I need to branch out more!  Books I read multiple times this year have asterisks. REGENCY/HISTORICAL ROMANCE The Apothecary's Daughter, Julie Klassen Edenbrooke*, Julianne Donaldson The Girl in the Gatehouse, Julie Klassen The Heiress of Winterwood, Sarah Ladd The Maid of Fairbourne Hall, Juie Klassen Lady of Milkweed Manor, Julie Klassen Short Straw Bride, Karen Witemeyer The Silent Governess, Julie Klassen The Tutor's Daughter, Julie Klassen CLEAN ROMANCE Bah, Humbug!, Heather Horrocks The Cubicle Next Door*, Siri L....

Finished Project Friday: Maryanne's Blessing Dress

(I know it's not really Friday, but I just finished this today and couldn't wait to show ya'll .) I finished Maryanne's blessing dress early! Well, what you would call early for me. When I made Andrew's blessing romper I was pounding in the snaps around the legs and on the back around 9:00 the Saturday night before he was blessed. So, to have Maryanne's dress done a week before her blessing is really good for me. This pattern was a challenge for me because the directions weren't very explicit, but after I did what I was supposed to they totally made sense. And, I forgot how to make button holes, so that was an adventure. This was the first time I've ever used lace on a project, and I'm really pleased with the outcome. You can't see it, but the slip has lace along the bottom edge, and I was supposed to put lace on the collar but opted it out and like it much better that way. I also made a little jacket or " saque " for her out of fla...