Skip to main content

Convention Notes: Notebooking and Multi-Level Teaching

The speaker for this workshop said that notebooking is really just educational scrapbooking.  I could not agree more.  I really love the idea behind notebooking; more specifically, I love the method that the speaker suggested using.  Here are some of the things she said during her workshop that I wrote down:

Homeschooling is not about patience -- it's about resolve!

Education is discipleship: this is our goal.

Multi-level Teaching Benefits:

  • Biblical Integration is easy
  • Less fragmented education
  • Older children mentor the younger
  • Less time consuming than teaching everyone individually
In regards to Multi-level Teaching, she suggested the school bus approach.  Everyone gets on the school bus and you begin reading from your text (or teaching, or however you plan to do it).  After about 10-15 minutes, you get the littles off the bus and give them something that is at their skill level (like coloring a picture) that is also subject reinforcing.  Then, in another 10-15 minutes, you let the middles off the bus and give them a worksheet, copywork, a crossword puzzle, etc. that also reinforces what is being taught.  Finally, the olders get off the bus and begin their advanced work on the subject.

Now, onto what she said specifically about Notebooking.

STEPS:
  1. Read about the subject/topic.
  2. Write a list of what was talked/learned about daily. (She said that she writes down just one or two words on her white board, and keeps a running list everyday.  It's not erased until after they've notebooked.)
  3. Spend four days learning in active teaching, one day for notebooking.  For her, it was Wednesdays ... and that was all that they did on that day.  For me, I think it will be Thursdays because we have our homeschool PE co-op group on Thursday afternoons.
  4. Each child creates notebook pages according to their age and skill level.  For example, the littles only create one page on one topic that was discussed throughout the last week.  The olders create more like three to four pages.  (My idea is to have my Eliza and possibly Kate create a notebook page for each subject.)
SUPPLIES:
  • 3-ring binders -- D-ring, 3-4" wide
  • Sheet protectors
  • Card stock (she was adamant about using card stock and not regular paper because regular paper doesn't hold as well)
  • Markers, colored pencils, scissors, crayons stickers, glue, templates, etc.
BENEFITS OF NOTEBOOKING:
  • does not need to be expensive (I'm excited to use all the paper my sister and sister-in-law just sent us!  Thanks, Anna and Aubrey!)
  • boosts creativity
  • turn reluctant writers into researchers
  • works for all learning styles
  • works for all homeschooling styles
  • provides a memoir of schoolwork, or a portfolio for older students
WHERE TO START:
  1. Don't make it complicated! (Individual mastery is: math, reading, and writing.  Use Notebooking for multi-level subjects, such as: science, history, music, art.)
  2. Use time wisely. (Can't create a love of learning in a stressful environment.)
  3. Teach to the OLDEST child. (Follow the school bus approach.)
  4. Take time. (You don't have to go 100% right at the beginning.)
5 KEYS FOR SUCCESSFUL NOTEBOOKING
  1. No correct or incorrect way.
  2. Study one topic with all children.
  3. Make allowances for differing ages (ask more of olders, less for littles).
  4. Allow child to choose topic that interests them. (Even let them choose a topic that wasn't discussed and allow them to research it for their notebook page.)
  5. Teach children to clean up after themselves (organize home for success).
IDEAS FOR PK-2:
  • copy work
  • coloring pictures
  • glue items
She opened her workshop open at the end for questions.  I asked about my severely perfectionist son and how to get him past the "no correct" way to notebook.  I asked that because I can picture Andrew just sitting there and not even starting because he wouldn't want to do it wrong.  She suggested showing pictures of finished notebook pages and letting him see all the different ways to do it.  I was thinking that the whole idea of notebooking reminded me of Smashbooks (have you seen those?), and I thought I'd just show Andrew the YouTube videos of smashbooks.  She also said that she will have slides of notebook pages that her children have made throughout the years on her website.  (I haven't seen them yet, and it's been a week ... I hope she gets them up on there soon!)

Anyway, it was a very informative workshop.  In fact, I attended three of this particular speaker's workshops and each of them was extremely informative.  I loved them all.

Yesterday I told my children about notebooking.  They seemed so excited to get started.  I am too!  I can't wait to get rid of a day of school to just be creative ... and yet still be learning!

Comments

Aubrey A said…
It might just be me, but I don't get notebooking. I have a very hard time understanding the concept. (Probably because I am a visual learner and since I have never seen an actual lapbook/notebook it doesn't compute in my little brain.). Guess I'll have to keep an eye out for her slide show too, so I can see some examples. Thanks for the link!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogiversary

Today is my blogiversary! One year ago today I switched my blog over to Blogger. To celebrate, I want to do a little drawing for all my friends and family! I haven't yet decided what the winner will get ... I think it depends on who the winner is (I don't want to send a crayon roll to someone without children, or an apron to my brother, etc.). Rest assured though, that the winner will get something homemade from me, just as a little thank you for being my friend! So, start commenting ... and I'll send the total number of comments I receive by next Wednesday at 11:59 CST through random.org, then announce the winner next Thursday.

85+ Books!

It's been almost a year since I started keeping track of all the books I've read.  When it's all in a list ... by date ... it really makes me realize how much I read!  I burned through almost a book a day in the month of January: 24 books total ... the greatest number of books in one month!  After compiling the list, I figured I may as well share it with all my friends!  I've organized them by genre/topic ... and now I realize I need to branch out more!  Books I read multiple times this year have asterisks. REGENCY/HISTORICAL ROMANCE The Apothecary's Daughter, Julie Klassen Edenbrooke*, Julianne Donaldson The Girl in the Gatehouse, Julie Klassen The Heiress of Winterwood, Sarah Ladd The Maid of Fairbourne Hall, Juie Klassen Lady of Milkweed Manor, Julie Klassen Short Straw Bride, Karen Witemeyer The Silent Governess, Julie Klassen The Tutor's Daughter, Julie Klassen CLEAN ROMANCE Bah, Humbug!, Heather Horrocks The Cubicle Next Door*, Siri L....

Finished Project Friday: Maryanne's Blessing Dress

(I know it's not really Friday, but I just finished this today and couldn't wait to show ya'll .) I finished Maryanne's blessing dress early! Well, what you would call early for me. When I made Andrew's blessing romper I was pounding in the snaps around the legs and on the back around 9:00 the Saturday night before he was blessed. So, to have Maryanne's dress done a week before her blessing is really good for me. This pattern was a challenge for me because the directions weren't very explicit, but after I did what I was supposed to they totally made sense. And, I forgot how to make button holes, so that was an adventure. This was the first time I've ever used lace on a project, and I'm really pleased with the outcome. You can't see it, but the slip has lace along the bottom edge, and I was supposed to put lace on the collar but opted it out and like it much better that way. I also made a little jacket or " saque " for her out of fla...